Prince Harry’s Remembrance Day wreath was left unused after his request for it to be laid on his behalf was reportedly denied.
The Duke of Sussex is said to have been “deeply saddened” after his request for a personal wreath be placed for him during the official ceremony was refused.
Despite the former senior royal having served for 10 years in the military, including two tours of Afghanistan, Palace officials reportedly refused his request for the London memorial.
And as such, the wreath – which costs £1,000 – was reportedly not used at all and remains in storage.
The Sun reports it is still at the Royal British Legion’s Kent HQ, having been made last year and stored for use.
Harry and wife Meghan Markle stepped down as working royals in March and subsequently moved into a multi-million dollar mansion in Santa Barbara during the summer.
On Sunday, the pair paid their own tribute as they were snapped laying a wreath at the Los Angeles National Cemetery and placing flowers on the graves of two Commonwealth soldiers.
The wreath was inscribed: “In Memory of the Men Who Offered Their Lives in Defense of Their Country”.
On it, he had written: “To all those who have served, and are serving. Thank you.”
The Royal couple wore face masks to the cemetery, only removing them when they were alone.
The Duke also wore a number of medals, including his Queen’s Golden Jubilee medal, 2002, his 2008 Afghanistan Operational Service medal and his Queen’s Diamond Jubilee medal from 2012.
Harry – who first attended the Cenotaph in 2009, aged 25 but remained in the States this year – told a military podcast: “Even when we can’t all be together we always remember together.”
He added that he wears his poppy to “celebrate the bravery of all veterans…the people I remember when I lay a wreath at the Cenotaph”.
It was the first year he didn’t attend the ceremony because coronavirus pandemic restrictions prevented his being able to travel and he is no longer a working royal.
Royal sources have said there is no intention of using Harry’s wreath, reported The Sun.
Piers Morgan described the Duke’s reported efforts to have the wreath laid as “outrageous” and something akin to a PR stunt, in a fiery tweet.
The Times first reported that Harry’s plea was rejected on the grounds he is no longer a representative of the monarchy.